Tuesday 14 July 2009

Abu Simbel

Abu Simbel
Frederick Arthur Bridgeman – 1874. Oil on canvas. Private Collection.

This very life-like painting reminded me vividly of my own visit to Abu Simbel as part of a 14-day Nile cruise in 1989.

On reviewing my pictures I found that I had one of myself posing in front of the monument, taken from almost the same angle as the painting. It shows the changes that have taken place in those just over hundred years: all the sand has been cleared away in front of the figures, so they are now clearly visible including all the inscriptions at the bases, but the fallen fragments from the second statue, on which a man sits in the painting, are still exactly where they were!

*****

Papers and alphas from Club Scrap kit "Egyptian", plus some images stamped on paper scraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment