Wednesday 1 July 2009

Large Fish Market


Large Fish Market
Jan Bruegel the Elder – 1603. Oil on Oak Panel. Alte Pinakothek, Munich.

Many years ago, with my mother and a friend, I visited the Alte Pinakothek in Munich. I remember that they have whole rooms dedicated to particular painters, and that both my mother and I liked Bruegel’s pictures because of the amazing detail in them. Almost any one of them, you can stand for a long time and look and still take in new aspects of the scene – quite fascinating. The Large Fish Market painting is a good example of what I mean…

I imagined that fish market in real – the buzzle, the smell… - and it conjured up memories of a very different but equally intriguing fish market: Hong Kong Wanchai! It’s what I call “an experience”…

*****

Paper, alphas and fish sticker from Club Scrap "Fossils"; plus vellum diecuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment