Tuesday 14 July 2009

A Bride

A Bride
Abbott Handerson Thayer – ca.1895. Oil on canvas. National Museum of American Art, Washington, D.C.

I have always been attracted by the beauty of bridal gowns – I can spend hours looking at them in shops and used to love it when our church choir was invited to sing at a wedding when from the choir stalls we had a prime view of the bridal couple… No wonder I instantly loved this painting of a bride in her Victorian finery.

My first idea was to make this layout with one of my own bridal photos but then I thought that would be somewhat strange with the title of “A Bride”…so I chose this lovely photo of my penfriend Asmah. There is a custom nowadays, I believe in many parts of Asia, by which the bridal couple and in particular the bride spend considerable time on their photographs, getting changed into various different outfits including hairstyles, headdresses and flower arrangements to suit. These tend to include the local traditional garment (in Asmah’s case Malaysian), a Western style white bridal gown, and various other Asian outfits of choice. A very colourful event indeed!

*****

Papers and alphas from Club Scrap kit "Wedding" and epoxy stickers from Creative Imaginations "Sarah Johnson" series.

No comments:

Post a Comment