Wednesday 1 July 2009

Woman with Umbrella



Rainy Day (Woman with Umbrella)
Childe Hassam – 1889. Oil on Canvas. Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH

The image of this beautifully and daintily dressed woman with her umbrella instantly brought to mind a photo I once took of my own mother, flouncing her newly bought lace parasol… The person in the picture looks like quite the lady my mother has always pretended to be or wanted to be – so the association is quite apt and we shall forget the fact that the painting is actually called “Rainy Day”. I do love Hassam’s style of painting, and I know my mother would like it, too…

*****

Paper and frames from HOTP Paper Pizzazz book; lace from my haberdashery stash; alphas from Club Scrap and palm trees from Jolee's by You and Jolee's Boutique.

No comments:

Post a Comment