Tuesday 14 July 2009

Love Song

Love Song
Norman Percevel Rockwell – 1926. Saturday Evening Post illustration.

In artistic circles, Norman Rockwell has never been considered a serious painter, mainly because the majority of his work was covers for the Saturday Evening Post: drawings or paintings reflecting “the American life in a somewhat sentimental style”. But I find them very likable and have added several of them to my favourites list.

The Love Song painting is, of course, nothing like the photograph I’ve paired with it, which is of a karaoke party at our Hong Kong home with the colleagues from our department. Karaoke was hugely in vogue with the Chinese population of the city at the time and a great draw to get them to come to “gwailo” parties. I’m singing with the wife of my boss, and as you can see from our slightly soppy expressions, and the smirky face of the guy in the background, it was a love song indeed!

*****

Red paper is from Club Scrap kit "Autumn Splendour", alphas from "Salsa" and sticker from "Musical Interlude"; vellum from Craft Creations, heart diecut from Jolee's by You and bubble shakers from I-Kandee.

No comments:

Post a Comment