Wednesday 1 July 2009

The Walk to Work


The Walk to Work (Le Depart pour le Travail)
Jean-Francois Millet – 1851. Oil on Canvas. Private Collection.

The painting is a lovely atmospheric work of a couple of peasants walking by the fields. It made me think of the fact that for most people these days, getting to work probably does not include much walking – at best maybe to and from the bus or train station. But there was one time in my life when I often used to walk to or from work, weather-permitting: that was in Hong Kong.

We lived halfway up The Peak and the offices were first in Central and then in Causeway Bay, both more or less straight down the hill. The shortest route down was via Ladder Street – which is simply a series of flights of steps. I counted them once and there are well over a thousand! I admit that on the way back I usually took the outdoor escalator they built a few streets further on…

*****

Random kanji paper; alphas from Club Scrap "Asian Artisan"; and wood shapes from Craft Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment