Wednesday 1 July 2009

Selbstbildnis


Self-Portrait (Selbstbildnis)
Käthe Kollwitz – 1912. Etching on Copperplate Paper. Pasquale Iannetti Art Galleries, San Francisco, CA.

Kollwitz has produced several self-portraits which all just go by that name – I’ve chosen the one I find most appealing, softer than her more famous front on portraits.

The fact that she has done so many reminded me of a little private portrait shoot I was given once in Hong Kong. The photographer was a business contact and did a series of photos for me in his hotel room, just to kill time before a company dinner in the restaurant downstairs (all very proper!). I have chosen a photo with a pose that is very similar to the Kollwitz portrait described above – same angle, same hairstyle – only I’m smiling and she isn’t. Kollwitz never smiled in her self-portraits…

*****

Papers from HOTP paper book "Mixing Jewel Colours"; plus Jolee's Photo Corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment