Wednesday 1 July 2009

At the Piano

At the Piano
James Abbott McNeill Whistler – 1858-59. Oil on canvas. Taft museum, Cincinnati, OH.

This beautiful picture of a lady playing the grand piano with a pretty girl watching reminded me of my grandma playing the piano for me to sing. We rehearsed regularly (I much preferred singing to playing the piano!) and had several recitals with me usually singing Schubert’s Lieder, but unfortunately there are no photos of that activity. Nowadays with the digital cameras, people take photos everywhere and of everything, but in those days photography was still rare and selective, and parents would not walk up during a recital to try and take photos…

So, it’s just me “on the piano”…first in 1973 and then in 1980.

*****
All materials from Club Scrap, mainly Musical Interlude with some sticker strips from Music and Fine Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment